Friday 24 April 2009

Dire Rear

I was listening to the news this week, and they were talking about the new over-the-counter weight-loss tablet, orlistat marketed as Allī. I think anyone who has heard about the product will have heard about one of its side-effects, described on the Today programme as "stool leakage".

In my experience, most people with PIDs have suffered from the runs at some point or another, often to the point of it being excruciatingly embarrassing. Worse: the runs can actually be a side effect of some of the drugs, particularly antibiotics, on which we depend, so sometimes the cure becomes as torturous as the original problem.

For example, I've just started on doxycycline and have been treated to a visit from the squitsmonster (always a pleasure, never a chore) in order to treat sinusitis. I could control the inconvenience of sinusitis with application of Sudafed - controlling the trots is more of a challenge.

So to anyone who is suffering or has suffered down below, you're not the only one. We stand by you in your hour of need, and will pass you the wet wipes when you're done. Metaphorically.

If anyone wants to share their diarrhoea stories, feel free to do so in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Although I don't premoderate the comments, I reserve the right to remove comments which are attacking, irrelevant or unscientific.